Thursday, June 2, 2011

Reality TV.

Some days I get worried that I like reality TV just a little too much. I have so many different reality shows on so many different networks that in order to keep track of them all I would need a graphic organizer worthy of an AP English Class. The fact of the matter is, I really don’t like sitcoms. I think the situations are forced and fake. None of those events would happen in real life and no one really lives like that or would react in that manner. Hence why I would much rather watch reality TV.
Now I know what you are thinking. Reality TV is not really reality. No one really lives in mansions with 10 car garages and three swimming pools and we certainly don’t have three nannies for one child. I mean if walk outside my house you are lucky If the neighbor isn’t working on one of his ten disabled cars in nothing but his genuine Levi blue jean shorts and a bear in one hand and a wrench in the other. And if we are really lucky we can watch his wife chase the kid around the yard trying to get the remote. Now the fact that a 3 year old can outsmart and outrun a 30 year old is pretty impressive. Kid might have a career as a track star but that is another story. Back to the reality TV.
I know people don’t really live like that, and I know that most of the storylines are created by directors to get more views. But that doesn’t mean these shows aren’t highly entertaining.  These shows manage to suck me in .You would think that I could be persuaded to watch something with a little bit more substance but hell no. Give me a show where women gossip about each other and compete to see who can spend more of their husband’s money.  I do not actually wish to ever live like these people, but I am fascinated watching people who can and do exploit others to their benefit and have no shame in living extravagant lives.
The truth of it is, these shows remind me to be grateful for my life. Even though I might never live in a 10,000 square foot house, drive a Bentley, have a nanny, chef, butler or maid, I do live with someone who actually cares about me and that is worth living a middle class lifestyle. I don’t have to worry about when he will grow tired of me, or which one of my friends is really a frenemy.   My life is chaotic in terms of endless laundry, grocery shopping, meal prep, doctor visits, dog walking etc. but I do not have the chaos that comes with having to find ways to entertain filthy rich acquaintances who are bored with their lives.                                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment