Wednesday, June 29, 2011

I am an addict.

I am hopelessly addicted to caffeine. I acknowledge this fact, and actually go out of my way to feed my caffeine addiction. I have decided that the world looks better when I am full of caffeine. Or at least I am less likely to bite off somebody’s head because they have just asked me the same question three times in a row.  Most people get hyper and jittery after a couple of cups of coffee and have even less patience then before. But as for me, if I can get a cup of coffee, I have all the patience in the world. I do not feel rushed and on edge. I feel calm and refreshed. I am sure some of this is just psychological. My body is not actually refreshed from receiving caffeine, but I have fooled my mind into thinking that.  Let’s hope I never get hooked on anything harsher then caffeine, lord knows I would be a mean addict. I will do anything to get a caffeine fix, who knows how far I would go if it was a real drug.
I resemble a ravenous wolf during my morning hunts for caffeine. Get in my way at the risk of your own life. I take no prisoners. There are only four things I want out of my mornings : a workout, a shower, breakfast and coffee. If you prevent me from those four simple objectives you will have a very miserable day.
Rumor has it that back in the day, I used to be able to just get up and roll out of bed. No fuss. I would go with the flow. I didn’t have to drink a pot of coffee before I could pry my eyeballs open. I could eat breakfast on the run, and if I didn’t make it to the gym, I would just go later. There was no set routine and it was virtually impossible to ruffle my feathers. But then age caught up with me, and suddenly it was interrupt my routine and I will become a demon. My routine coddles me and allows me to wallow in pity for the first few hours of my morning.  I don’t have to embrace the day before I am ready to. People who genuinely enjoy rising while it is still dark scare me. The days I am the happiest are the days I am allowed to sleep in til 6 or so. Just so that it is not pitch black outside when I open my eyeballs.

No comments:

Post a Comment